Saturday, August 13, 2011

Onde-onde Cake

It is the fasting month again. We're nearing the halfway mark, Alhamdulillah.. 

I have been on a baking hiatus this Ramadhan. Time simply does not permit leisurely baking, and so all the flours, sugars, and butters sit untouched in the kitchen, perhaps enjoying the undisturbed peace. :p

This week, I had some free time to sneak in a visit to bazaar ramadhan. I don't go to the lauk2 stalls, my mum does that. I prefer my kuih2 stalls hehe. And I saw my staple during puasa month; Onde-onde!!

Ironically, the sight didn't make me feel like buying the onde-onde. It instead gave me an inspiration. Why don't I make onde-onde cake in honour of my favourite bazaar kuih?? *ting!*

Pandan, check. Gula melaka, check. Coconut, check. Excitement to experiment, check.

I present to you..onde-onde, in cake form.

All covered with coconut 
Look at how green it is!
My mini onde-onde cake
I lovelove it! The pandan sponge cake is super fluffy and soft, it's like you're eating pandan cotton candy. And the frosting tastes exactly like gula melaka. Heavenly. :D It is my favourite frosting recipe, just subbed gula melaka for the sugar. If there's one tiny fault that I would find in this cake, it's that the colour of the frosting isn't dark enough to show its gula melaka-ness. I didn't wanna add more gula to it, the taste was already perfect. Maybe next time I should put brown colouring?

Or maybe I'm just being fussy. Gah. Why fix something that ain't broken? Or in this case, something that's this yummy. Haha.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an inspiration. And it taste like onde-onde?
Yummy!

Did you cut it to small balls pieces? :D

Post a Comment